Sunday, February 5, 2012

Look at the Ability not the Disability

I was brought up in a household with a totally blind father, to me a normal state of affairs. My father was an extraordinary man, a trailblazer for other sightless people and my hero. I was often asked at school by my friends what it was like to have a father who couldn't see. My answer was always the same; that I did not know what it was like to have a father that could see.

I did not feel that I missed out on anything as a child. My father played with me, laughed with me, even cried with me. The only difference was that his sight was internalised. When he felt objects he was able to visualise them in great detail. He had a knack of appearing to look you straight into the eyes to such a degree that many who spoke to him did not realise that he was without this important sense.

My father grew up at a time when disability was hidden away as an inconvenience, disabled people were to be pitied and patronised. He broke the mould and challenged society's thinking. Fighting like a pit bull he took on convention and smashed it, rising to senior levels in Jersey's civil service, despite many obstacles being placed in his way. He gained huge respect as well as much jealousy. Some people just could not cope with a successful disabled person, sad but true. My father, after whom our dojo is named, was a remarkable man. His steely determination, quick wit and intelligence made him a formidable figure. He did not suffer fools gladly but, having chewed you up and spat you out during a debate, would then more than likely buy you a drink later. He never bore grudges.

It was inevitable perhaps that I was going to gravitate towards receiving disabled students into the Phoenix School, especially when, I too, became visually impaired in 1990. After thirty two operations I was left partially sighted with the same rogue gene that debilitated my father. It was another ten years before I became involved with the Jersey Sports Association for the Disabled and its founder/Chairman Paul Patterson. My father had been invited to give some much needed advice to a then teenage Paul when he had a problem with his own sight. His main piece of advice was that Paul should complete his education which would allow for more scope when he was of working age. Now things have come full circle and Paul and me are now intrinsically linked through disability sport.

Now as I look out across the dojo I see able bodied and disabled students training together, being taught by a disabled Sensei. At this moment I am often reminded of my father's mantra, "Look at the A-bility not the Dis-Ability." Never a truer word said.

No comments:

Post a Comment